Dorzolamide Hydrochloride; Timolol Maleate
About Dorzolamide Hydrochloride; Timolol Maleate
Dorzolamide Hydrochloride Timolol Maleate contains two drugs used to treat high pressure inside the eye due to glaucoma (open angle-type) or other eye diseases (e.g., ocular hypertension). Cosopt Ophthalmic solution Lowers high pressure inside the eye helps to prevent blindness. Generic for Cosopt medication works by decreasing the amount of fluid within the eye. Timolol belongs to a class of drugs known as beta-blockers, and dorzolamide belongs to a class of drugs known as carbonic anhydrase inhibitors.
How to use
Read the Patient Information Leaflet provided by your pharmacist before you start using Dorzolamide Hydrochloride Timolol Maleate and each time you get a refill. If you have any questions regarding the information, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- Cosopt Ophthalmic solution is for use in the eye(s).
- Usually one drop in the affected eye(s) 2 times a day, or as directed by your doctor.
- To apply eye drops, wash your hands first.
- To avoid contamination, do not touch the dropper tip or let it touch your eye or any other surface.
- If you are using a product with a preservative and you wear contact lenses, remove the lenses before using the eye drops.
- Wait at least 15 minutes before putting in your contact lenses.
- Tilt your head back, look upward and pull down the lower eyelid to make a pouch.
- Hold the dropper directly over your eye and place one drop in your eye.
- Look downward and gently close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place one finger at the corner of your eye (near the nose) and apply gentle pressure.
- Try not to blink and do not rub your eye.
Repeat these steps for your other eye if so directed
This will prevent the medication from draining out.
Do not rinse the dropper. Replace the dropper cap after each use.
If you are using another kind of eye medication (e.g., drops or ointments), wait at least 5 minutes before applying other medications. Use eye drops before eye ointments to allow the eye drops to enter the eye.
Use Dorzolamide Hydrochloride Timolol Maleate regularly in order to get the most benefit from it. To help you remember, use it at the same time each day. Keep using Generic for Cosopt medication even if you feel well. Most people with glaucoma or high pressure in the eyes do not feel sick.
- Temporary blurred vision
- temporary burning/stinging/itching/redness of the eye
- watery eyes
- dry eyes
- feeling as if something is in the eye
- the sensitivity of eyes to light
- strange taste in the mouth
If any of these Cosopt Ophthalmic solution effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed Dorzolamide Hydrochloride Timolol Maleate because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious Generic for Cosopt medication side effects, including
- slow/irregular heartbeat
- muscle weakness
- mental/mood changes
- coldness/numbness/pain in the hands or feet
- vision changes
- signs of a kidney stone
- yellowing eyes or skin
- dark urine
- unusual tiredness/weakness
- easy bruising/bleeding
- signs of infection
Get medical help right away if you have any very serious side effects, including persistent eye redness or discharge, eye or eyelid swelling, eye pain, sudden unexplained weight gain, chest pain, weakness on one side of the body, slurred speech, confusion, persistent dizziness, fainting.
A very serious allergic reaction to Generic for Cosopt medication is rare. However, get medical help right away.
Warnings & Precautions
- Before using Dorzolamide Hydrochloride Timolol Maleate, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to these drugs; or if you have any other allergies.
- Before using Cosopt Ophthalmic solution, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
- Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires clear vision.
- Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist that you are using this medication.
If you develop an eye infection or injury or have eye surgery, check with your doctor about whether you should continue to use your current bottle of timolol/dorzolamide. You may be advised to start using a new bottle.
If you have diabetes, Generic for Cosopt medication may prevent the fast/pounding heartbeat you would usually feel when your blood sugar level falls too low (hypoglycemia). Other symptoms of low blood sugar, such as dizziness and sweating, are unaffected by this drug.
Cosopt Ophthalmic solution should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
This drug passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
Store at room temperature away from light and moisture. Do not store in the bathroom. Store the single-use containers in the pouch. Discard any unused single-use containers 15 days after opening the pouch. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
This product is normally colorless. Discard the solution if it changes color, becomes cloudy, or develops particles.
If you are using single-use containers, discard any unused medication immediately after each use.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.
Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects. This document does not contain all possible drug interactions. Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor’s approval.