Docusate Sodium Sennosides Laxative is used to treat constipation. Sennosides with Docusate may also be used to clean out the intestines before a bowel examination/surgery. Sennosides medication is known as stimulant laxatives. They work by keeping water in the intestines, which causes movement of the intestines.
How to use
Take Docusate Sodium Sennosides Laxative by mouth as directed by your doctor. If you are self-treating, follow all directions on the product package. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- When you are using the chewable tablets, chew each tablet well and swallow.
- If you are using the dissolving strips, allow each strip to dissolve on the tongue and then swallow, with or without water.
- If you are using the liquid form of Sennosides with Docusate, measure the dose carefully using a special measuring device/cup.
- Do not use a household spoon because you may not get the correct dose.
Sennosides with Docusate dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to treatment. Do not increase your dose or take this drug more often than directed. Do not take Sennosides medication for more than 7 days unless directed by your doctor. Serious side effects may occur with the overuse of this medication (see also Side Effects section).
It may take 6 to 12 hours before Sennosides with Docusate causes a bowel movement. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens, or if bleeding from the rectum occurs. If you think you may have a serious medical problem, seek immediate medical attention.
- Stomach/abdominal pain or cramping
If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Docusate Sodium Sennosides Laxative may cause your urine to turn reddish-brown. This effect is harmless and will disappear when the medication is stopped.
If your doctor has directed you to use Sennosides medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur:
- persistent nausea/vomiting/diarrhea
- muscle cramps/weakness
- irregular heartbeat
- decreased urination
- mental/mood changes
A very serious allergic reaction to Sennosides medication is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention.
Warnings & Precautions
- Before taking Docusate Sodium Sennosides Laxative, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it.
- Before using Sennosides with Docusate, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
- Limit/avoid sugar in your diet.
- Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before using Sennosides medication. Using it for long periods during pregnancy is not recommended. Consult your doctor for more details.
Docusate Sodium Sennosides Laxative passes into breast milk but is unlikely to harm a nursing infant. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
Different brands of this medication have different storage needs. Check the product package for instructions on how to store your brand, or ask your pharmacist. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Properly discard this product when it is expired or no longer needed. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company for more details about how to safely discard your product.
The effects of some drugs can change if you take other drugs or herbal products at the same time. This can increase your risk for serious side effects or may cause your medications not to work correctly. These drug interactions are possible but do not always occur. Your doctor or pharmacist can often prevent or manage interactions by changing how you use your medications or by close monitoring.
There are no reviews yet.