$6.61 – $10.55
What is Promethazine Hydrochloride for?
What is promethazine hydrochloride for? Promethazine Hydrochloride pill ( generic Phenergan) is used to prevent and treat nausea and vomiting related to certain conditions (such as motion sickness, or before/after surgery). Phenergan generic name is also used to treat allergy symptoms such as rash, itching, and runny nose. It may be used to help you feel sleepy/relaxed before and after surgery or to help certain narcotic pain relievers (such as meperidine) work better. Phenergan in pregnancy should be used only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. The suppository form is used when medications cannot be taken by mouth.
Promethazine is an antihistamine and works by blocking a certain natural substance (histamine) that your body makes during an allergic reaction. Its other effects (such as anti-nausea, calming, pain relief) may work by affecting other natural substances (such as acetylcholine) and by acting directly on certain parts of the brain.
How to use
- Unwrap and insert one suppository rectally as directed by your doctor.
- Usually 2 to 4 times daily.
- Remain to lie down for a few minutes after using the Promethazine Hydrochloride pill.
- Avoid having a bowel movement for an hour or longer so the drug will absorb.
- The suppository is for rectal use only.
- For motion sickness, the first dose of promethazine should be used 30 to 60 minutes before beginning travel.
- Use Phenergan generic name for allergies once daily at bedtime or during the day.
When used before surgery, the Promethazine Hydrochloride pill may be used the night before or just before the procedure and may be continued afterward as directed.
Generic Phenergan dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to treatment. In children, the dosage may also be based on weight. Do not increase your dose or use this medication more often than directed.
Tell your doctor if your condition does not improve or if it worsens.
- blurred vision
- dry mouth
If any of these Promethazine Hydrochloride pill effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
To relieve dry mouth, suck (sugarless) hard candy or ice chips, chew (sugarless) gum, drink water, or use a saliva substitute.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed Phenergan generic name because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using Phenergan in pregnancy do not have serious side effects.
Some serious and rare side effects
Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including
- slow heartbeat
- mental/mood changes
- unusual/uncontrolled movements
- shaking (tremor)
- difficulty urinating
- easy bleeding/bruising
- signs of infection
- severe stomach/abdominal pain
- persistent nausea/vomiting
- yellowing eyes/skin
Get medical help right away if you have any very serious side effects, including slow/shallow breathing, seizures.
Phenergan generic name may rarely cause a very serious condition called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS). Get medical help right away if you have any of the following symptoms:
- muscle stiffness/pain/tenderness/weakness
- severe tiredness
- severe confusion
- fast/irregular heartbeat
- dark urine
- signs of kidney problems
A very serious allergic reaction to generic Phenergan is rare. However, get medical help right away.
Warnings & Precautions
- Before using the Promethazine Hydrochloride pill, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it.
- Before using Phenergan generic name, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history.
- Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs alertness.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages.
- Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use.
- Limit your time in the sun.
- Avoid tanning booths and sunlamps.
- Avoid doing things that may cause you to overheat, such as hard work or exercise in hot weather, or using hot tubs.
Get medical help right away if you have a fever that does not go away, mental/mood changes, headache, or dizziness.
Children may be more sensitive to the side effects of this drug, especially slowed breathing. Promethazine Hydrochloride pill can often cause excitement in young children instead of drowsiness. Special care should be taken when using generic Phenergan in children who have lost a lot of fluid (dehydration), those who have a family history of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), and those who are hard to wake up from sleep.
Older adults may be more sensitive to the side effects of Phenergan in pregnancy, especially drowsiness, confusion, constipation, or trouble urinating. Drowsiness and confusion can increase the risk of falling.
Phenergan in pregnancy should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
It is unknown if generic Phenergan passes into breast milk. Phenergan in pregnancy may have undesirable effects on a nursing infant. Consult your doctor before breastfeeding.
Store in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. Keep all medications away from children and pets.
Do not flush medications down the toilet or pour them into a drain unless instructed to do so. Consult your pharmacist or local waste disposal company.
Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects. This document does not contain all possible drug interactions. Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor’s approval.
Some products that may interact with this drug include antihistamines applied to the skin (such as diphenhydramine cream, ointment, spray), metoclopramide.
12.5 mg, 25 mg, 50 mg
There are no reviews yet.